[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Reasons entries are down...

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: midwall@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:29:59 -0400 (EDT)

Very well said.

I have to tell you...I really, REALLY like playing in the a/b  ring.

Like the people behind the clubs, LOVE learning from breeders w/ different
breeds, LOVE the camaraderie staying for Group....LOVE that the dirty
coming and  going or slab sided or overly long GSDs and/or spooky ones usually
don't bother  to come, so people w/ other breeds as well as John Q. get to see
some lovely  representatives of the breed.

(Yup, I'm the one whose dogs look like the pied-piper with children hanging
 onto them.)

Quality GSDs ARE showing up, breeders you thought you'd never see at  the
a/b shows are entering, some "specialty" judges are judging (and  sending
good ones to the group)...I very much like the whole  scene.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 3/20/2014 12:30:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
midwall@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Just my  two cents on why specialties are loosing entries...
1) The cost. Seldom are  these in your backyard. Handlers cost $$$. Gas,
hotel, pet sitters, meals, and  entries.
2) Judges. Lots of great judges out there, but when I see entries  for
clusters, often times the judges and their judging choices are very  similar.
Most of us can't afford to play and pay just to support an entry. We  have to
believe (however naive) that we have a chance. Varying the judges on
cluster weekends will greatly improve entries.
3) All breeds and boosting  entries... local all breeds lower most of the
costs above. Therefore, paying  entries for an extra dog or bitch to help
make a major is more affordable. And  all breed rings are generally smaller so
even gimps like me can hobble around  enough to make the entry count, or you
can get someone else to run in and out  for you.
4) Local all breed v. far away specialty club. The local all  breed here is
great to GSD people. They have bent over backwards the last  three years to
keep us happy. Large rings, late ring times, and this last year  they
invited us to provide a list of judges we wanted to have... and they did  their
best to get them. Two of the four judges were on our list. This club  also
provides FREE training classes in the fall months.
5) Specialties...  aren't always fun or social, especially if you are new
or don't know people.
6) Handlers. They are harder and harder to get for specialties. Unless you
show A LOT (and I mean A LOT) or are specialing a dog, you have limited
options as to who is available. This is especially true as you go into the
higher class dogs and specials. At all breeds it is much easier to find a
handler, and depending on who you use, it might be less expensive, as they
often have several breeds and lots of owners to split their expenses.
Bottom line... if I am going to enter a specialty or an all breed that
isn't around the corner, I have to really think the judge is going to REALLY
look at my dog (not necessarily put him/her up, but really look at him/her...
 give me my entry money and handler's fees worth of time) and put up the
best  dog in the ring... not the popular dog or the dog with most prominent
owner.
Michelle Wallis
POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html