[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Realistically.....

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:37:51 -0700 (PDT)

speak up and say "why?".

Best thing I have read in a long time.
Thanks for posting it
Terry
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

"realistically the numbers WILL change. They
will go down eventually."

The above quote is attributed to Mr. Holt and I am not questioning its
accuracy or that he said it. In fact, I'm not debating PAWS at all (tired of
that, lol!).

I would venture to say, in many cases the numbers HAVE come down. Every so
often, the subject comes up on the list, at club meetings, at shows... of
declining entries, declining regional club members, declining this or that and
it's sooner or later attributed to cost and time (or lack of).

I'm told that in the glory days (wasn't there!) of having to bring a second
judge in because shows over-filled, you had two parent homes, one stayed home
and "did the dogs" and on the weekends, parents and kids all jumped into the
station wagon and went to shows. Sounds like fun, but in this environment
and economy, I just don't see it happening.

Across the spectrum of dog breeds, you have fewer and fewer breeders who
have anything close to the number of dogs that used to be kept. Many, many that
try are doing it on a shoestring. Gone are the kennel "men". The cost of
land is way up, zoning restrictions are way up, folks move out to more rural
areas (guilty!) and drive house values and taxes way up, it costs money to show
dogs, pay handlers and lots of money to pay vets if and when something goes
wrong. And since the "kennel men" are long gone, who takes care of dozens of
dogs? It's a full time job to keep the ones that I have groomed and happy
and I work from home most days!

Then, not that it's my business, but I was raised by a banker and naturally
I have to wonder when I see so many people, not just GSD people, but across
the spectrum, doing things on such a fragile shoestring, if in fact their
retirement accounts are funded and their children's college accounts are
funded,
if they have good health insurance, or are the robbing Peter to pay Paul there
too? (I want the house paid for, security and a few good dogs, NOT a few
dozen to have to worry about! You can't eat dog show ribbons!!!!)

I used to see this every so often when I had race horses. You had people
who could afford the freight. I would tell perspective owners to set aside
funds that they could feel comfortable calling "monopoly money". If they
couldn't afford to loose it, they couldn't get in the game, and when it was
gone,
they were done; no fooling with their or their family's security. There was
always some poor soul who didn't have two nickels to rub together still
chasing the win though.

Maybe it's a common sight around animals used for hobby or sport. Again,
this isn't directed to GSD people specifically, but don't we all know someone,
within whatever breed, who is cutting corners and struggling to stay afloat?
(And don't we worry about them AND their dogs?)

So yes, the numbers WILL change, they WILL go down as the economy evolves,
life styles change people with a little sense cut back when they get in over
their head.

I don't think legislation is the way to go about it. (This isn't about
PAWS or regional zoning, but the truth of a quote taken out of context.).

Instead, the next time I see someone who is over dogged, having trouble
paying their bills and their handler, who has been complaining about
skyrocketing
costs of campaigning a dog bring over an exciting new puppy, I'm going to
speak up and say "why?".

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs_

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original