[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Real Quick

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:14:09 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2005 10:48:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Before I  head out the door to face the "Dirty Thirty..plus one"....many
folks think the  the raw diet is un-ballenced...if done correctly this is not
true...and like I  have always said " do what you believe to be right, and you
won't go  wrong"....thats what I do , and I always will...Ed

Hey, we haven't done the food controversy in a while, guess we're
due, lol;)

IME there are wonderful products sold w/ mixtures of vitamins, minerals,
carbs, etc to "supplement" whatever protein source you're feeding.  That's  all
well and good.

To far too may people, however, feeding raw means finding whatever protein
source is readily available and feeding that by itself.  That's NOT all  well
and good IMHO.

I have friends that make a science out of it, grinding/freezing veggies,
adding supplements, considering and adjusting for various life stages and
changing nutritional requirements and (for the ones who make a science out  of
it),
while their dogs look good and appear healthy they DON'T look BETTER and  they
AREN'T healthier than mine, fed a high quality,  balanced kibble.

I also have friends that mix stuff (kibble and raw).  Why?   <The kibble
isn't "good enough" on its own.????..but now you're upping the  protein
ratio....sooooo??????>

Then like I said, there are those that just hand out raw meat..NOT good  and
a lot of the dogs look like crap. (IMO)

Talk to most vets...dead set against it, and I don't use any vets at this
time that just happen to sell kibble, so that's not it.  They see far too  many
issues w/ unbalanced diets fed by well meaning owners.

THEN, there is the risk of bacteria. Fine, under most circumstances,  but
troublesome for the very young, sick, older or immune compromised.
Anyway...it's a risk.

...unless you're one of those who takes the time, really studies  nutritional
requirements, makes a science out of it AND adds a variety of  supplements
AND changes rations re various life stages...and even then,  your dogs don't
look better than mine AND maybe you've taken some risks re  bacteria....nah.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_