[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Re TC and Evaluators

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DstnGSD1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TotalDogman@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:47:24 EDT

I am not sure where the original email is for this, if it stemmed from my
post about the TC in PA, but one reason i respect this certification is because

those that have been the evaluators for this are people who take the position
 serious and respectfully.  There should be a strict criteria for those
desiring to be a senior evaluator. We do not have to like the evaluator but
they
should know behavior and temperament of a dog, typically a shepherd, but this
test is open to all breeds, although this is a GSDCA-TC.   I think  someone
who desires to be a senior evaluator should have at least titled a  dog in some
sort of performance title, obedience, schutzhund, have experience in
behavior or be a reputable dog trainer etc... they should have  experience in
breeding,  there could be a written test, perhaps,  however, not all of us are
good
at written tests <g>.  just  kicking around some ideas but i do agree there
needs to be more Sr evaluators  for each region, perhaps two per state even, IF
say IF there are enough people  around with experience.

As i have shared, my GSDCA-WDA club respects this certification because of
the idea behind it and we have to remember not all dogs pass and the evaluators
 must be ready to handle a situation if a dog has an aggressive reaction to
one  of the stations of this test.  Perhaps a workshop would be appropriate,
given by whomever the PC feels is qualified, typically the present Regional Sr
Evaluator or use anyone of them to come out.  I think the PC should pay the
expense for the Teaching Trainer for this workshop to go out to these
workshops as the Sr Evaluators do not make any money for being a Sr  Evaluator.
 They
get travel and a gift from the club (if lucky) and that's  it.  Maybe once
every six months each Region host a "TC trainers workshop"  and those
interested
to become a Sr Evaluator pay their own travel to  this...    i have a lot of
thoughts about this,,, but not enough  time to type.

anyone else have ideas?   Jim perhaps we can get you out to CT to  do ours
:)

DM

In a message dated 10/28/2008 3:22:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What we  really need to keep in mind is that many Clubs cannot afford to fly
in
an  Evaluator at a great expense when they are limited to the entry they can
take.
We really need Evaluators from all over with easy access......so my  guess is
that
you need at least 6 more in order to start seeing more  Temperament Tests.
It's kind of a 'catch 22'  situation at this point  with only 3 or 4
Evaluators to serve all
the Clubs all  over.

Carolyn     marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com