[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re; Rimadyl

  • From: Catherine Morton <managsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:41:41 -0800 (PST)

I found when I did my research for the GSDCA Veterinary Liason report, January
2003, on Rimadyl that it doesn't matter how much of Rimadyl is given, one dose
or 3 years of treatment, if a dog is going to have a reaction it will have a
reaction.  Like any drug, it does have its potential side-effects and needs
base-line bloodwork prior to dispensing.  Each animal is different and will
react differently to different stimuli/drugs.  BUT, that doesn't mean Rimadyl
is not a good drug that has helped many animals.  Every drug needs to be used
judiciously.
I have a young male that cannot tolerate any Non-steroidal (incl. Deramaxx and
Metacam), but his sister can tolerate Rimadyl very well.
Catherine
P.S. My Rimadyl report can be found on the gsdca.org website under member
section (which I always have issues myself getting into :)-- Bill P. has been
so helpful)
Msg: #5 in digest
From: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:24:56 EST
Subject: Re: Rimadyl

Rimadyl like any drug of its type whether for human or animal use, is not
without its problems. JUDICIOUS use, for example giving 1/2 a tab instead of a
whole one (regardless of what the vet says) or even a 1/3 of a tab, and not
every twelve hours...if you give it once and it does a decent job of pain
relief
dont give it again until absolutely necessary....making sure you give it after
a meal or something whenever practical, and mostly be KEENLY aware of
potential warning signs, excessive thirst , change in behaviour from the norm,
digestive problems. It is a very effective drug, and can ease pain of pano,
soft
tissue injury, and arthritis. But you must be aware and observant. I would not
give a "no" to any dog in pain that could benefit from it. Just a cautious,
let's see, with a very low dosage.
Deramaxx on the other hand is being prescribed like crazy, and is
responsible for many more problems and death in dogs, eventhough its not been
on the
market as long as Rimadyl. I will not give it.
Kathy

Best of American and European lines; Breeding, Showing, Handling/Conditioning
Home of CH. ELVASTON'S NATIONS CUP, TC, OFA H/E DNA'D "NITRO"
# 6 GSD IN NATION IN 2003
Victory German Shepherds
LAST UPDATED:01-26-05