[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re; HARK'n Bark

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <grnlfgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Celeste Draper'" <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 22:14:59 -0700

Can we hear a HEARTY AMEN!!!

For those who think those who have bred and shown big National winners and bred
and
finished many Champions have it easy......you are only seeing HALF OF THE
STORY!!
We ALL have struggled similarly to what Patrick posted below. Most have BEEN
THERE.
We have handled our own dogs when younger, and we still do all the breeding,
training,
raising, grooming, conditioning, and traveling with our dogs to shows. It is
not easy for
any....unless you have a bottomless pot of gold and love to send your dog off
with your
preferred handler while you stay home and count points. <G>
Hardship comes in many forms..... and dwells in every home.
The key to enjoying and showing the German Shepherd Dog and doing it
successfully is to
KNOW your Standard, and breed and show the best. If you breed and live with a
quality GSD
that behaves, thinks and acts and looks like the standard and moves like the
Standard ....you
WILL enjoy the sport of showing....and especially in the GSD Specialty ring.
They are a
satisfying joy, and a real pleasure for a good Judge to evaluate.
If you bring one of the best dogs to a dog show....you will win most of the
time!
IF you do lose....you should know WHY you lose...and if you are doing it right,
you should still
know you are going home with a REAL GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG according to the breed
Standard. It really is that simple.

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Patrick Green Subject: Re: Bark bark bark

Absolutely Celeste! Great people having a great time doing what we love. We
are NOT bad people doing everything wrong and destroying our sport. We've been
through this conversation before, over and over in fact.
I was just starting to learn dog shows in the early 70s but I DO remember.
They can't BS me about the "good old days". What it was, was a bunch of pets
with novices like me (as well as teachers, carpenters, plumbers, housewives) on
the end of the lead who didn't have a clue what we were doing and four or five
nice dogs up front with paid " AKC licensed, professional handlers". (remember
that folks, AKC licensed handlers?) That's why there were 12 dogs in every
class. If I got a third or fourth place ribbon in my class that was a big win!
There was not Junior Handling then and the adults that I showed against acted
like I should get the heck out of the ring and quit taking up space. They
covered us up, ran us over, you name it. So folks those "good old days" were
not that great for a 13-14 year old kid trying to break into this, the "Icons
of the breed" wouldn't speak to me much less help or give me pointers. Life,
the Military, etc. interrupted but I came back to it in the early 90s. (when
the "Icons of the breed" still wouldn't speak to me) :O) It was way smaller,
Junior Handlers were encouraged and helped. The dogs were WAY different. Mix
Masters in the rear, bad temperaments. We worked through that and our dogs
today are better and more sound than ever. Most everyone I know is doing
everything possible to eliminate health problems, temperament problems,
increase longevity, etc. We are not bad people! We are for the most part
wonderful folks who help each other and have fun together. We encourage kids
and the few new folks that come around. I don't know how to fix this, I wish I
did, but Celeste I'll be there with you and Pat at the end if that's how it is.
We'll bring all our dogs and take turns judging each other's dogs and still
have a ball! Afterwards we'll go out for dinner and drinks and the winner can
buy!
Patrick Green
grnlfgsd@xxxxxxxxx
http://GreenleafKennelsGSD.com

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Cherpa <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All - I usually don't chime in these conversations in fear of offending
someone but here I go. I lLOVE the conformation specialty shows. I LOVE the
conformation specialty dogs. I realize our numbers are down but our quality is
high. And EVEN if Cherpa was the last show kennel standing, as long as there
were judges that would still judge, we would be there. EVEN if we brought all
our dogs and they had to compete against each other. I don't understand when I
hear people post that specialty people are to blame for low entries. Again, I
LOVE the specialty people. So many great folks. Most of them are loads of fun
and would go out of their way to help. I must say, I have no experience with
the people in obedience, herding, agility, etc, but I would venture to say
they, too, are probably great people. Think we are barking up the wrong tree
when we try to blame the very people that are supporting the specialty shows.
I realize if we were all the same everyone would love my mother!

Celeste