[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ] Re: GSDs will no longer be used by Guide Dogs for the Blind

  • From: "anthony amoroso" <triplea7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:10:41 -0800

Hi Ruth:
Your right,  the GSD fancy think that the Guide Dog schools have abandoned the
GSD. They haven't, they just learned over years of service that the Retriever
lines with their medium size and soft and loving temperament are well suited to
be Guides.  Our fancy forgets that especially our males over the years are
"big" dogs. A large dog is difficult to be used as a Guide. Eg; getting on a
bus looking for a seat and then lying down in front of his charge is a daunting
task for most of our shepherds.
As you know I own Hunter a delightful and very bright typical Shepherd with a
great temperament. But at almost 90 lbs it would a quite a task for a blind
person to take him on a bus, look for a seat. And then scoot him in front of
you. Unfortunately, size is very important to Guide Dog schools.

Our GSD dogs are more than capable of being blind guides but size has been a
big factor in their declining use .

Merry Christmas....

Tony Amoroso