[ SHOWGSD-L ] ] Re: Fut/Mat Hopefuls-And Then.....

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sheppiefan@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 05:12:10 -0700 (PDT)

I think both schemes can happen.  My own girl Ava went R/BIF under Jamie Walker
in 2003 to the later Futurity Victrix, and her handler had me put her way for
over a year since trhey had to finish other clients' dogs. We never ended up
even going tot he National to compete since my handler at the time told me to
save my money for finishing her instead.  Which at the time I was ok, but to
this day I wonder "what if".  Over a year later, they still had clients dogs to
finish, with limited openings.  I ended up showing/handling her myself, and
collected around 18 Reserves and a couple of singles.  I almost gve up on her,
since my handler was not available due to other clients (I am new, and Ava at
the time was the from the first litter I ever bred so older clients came first
which is understandable), ang other handlers I had contacted had limited
avauilablity as well.  Thankfully though to Jimmy who talked to me at a show
after I went Reserve (yet again) to him  all weekend, he
 told me not to give up on her.  I just was not picking the right judges, and
not getting the "performance' out f her that a handler could.  I ended up
having Lenny take her, Lenny finished her in 6 shows, (2) 5 point Majors/Both
BOB over Specials so for her she did turn out, and thankfully I pursued and
finished her.

  I know there are many furturity winners  who finish very quickly after
winning.  But I think alot epends on the handler, AND the owner since not all
owners have the means (traveling, handling expenses)), and how long the
handler/cliebnt have had a relationship to get the job done quick..  I am sure
there are also the cases where somoene may say theu did not turn out if they
did not finish  later, but with my own experence Ava could have been one of "
those" if I did not pursue and find a new handler to finish her when my
original handler was not available.  JMO

Ann Marie
  www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Amari.html
  Home of Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC OFA
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC (Both Majors/Group placer)

  Breeder/Owner of
  Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek (Multiple Group Placer)

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.