[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re; BLOAT - Couple of Things

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:08:15 -0800

AMEN Zoa!!
.I'm sure not as confident of having all the answers about someone else's lines
as some.    In
actuallity I don't think any of us own a dog that is NOT related to either the
same lines some have
in mind........or to other lines that have had dogs that bloat.
In all the years we have been breeding I do not know of one single pet that we
bred that ever had
bloat!   NOT ONE!!     We have placed many many MANY more pets over the years
than we ever
will show dogs....and we stay in contact with most pet owners.......and you
KNOW they would be the
first to tell you if there is any kind of health problem!     <G>   Almost all
come back for another pup
and tell you how they lost their old doggie or call to let us know.    NOT ONE
to bloat........YET......<G>
But I cannot predict the future.
We have however  had a couple of show dogs from our stud and other  lines that
were lost to
bloat.    Those that did.......all had or still have parents and siblings that
lived long full lives with
NO health issues ever.
As Paulette and Sally have stated......strong working lines also deal with
it.....but the working line
handlers are not on the List talking about it......they are though often doing
the surgery on the dogs
FIRST.  They will also tell you that if the dog has gone through high intensity
training........or suddenly
confined and not training and working for whatever reason.... but kenneled or
kept away from their
job........that is the time that they literally "expect"  them to bloat.
I've said before on the list......I have a friend with STRICTLY strong working
German lines....and she
lost a bitch to bloat during a breeding 'tie'......I also have a neighbor with
a German dog that had
seizures.   I'm sure the same can be said of almost any breed........or "line".
I am not ready to condemn anyone or any "line"  for losing a dog to bloat.
If we can do that.....then
PULEEZE find me the lines that have never........nor never will bloat or
torsion.
Lets quit pointing fingers and admit there are problems and donate DNA and work
to resolve it and
help with the research.
While you are searching out lines that you 'know of'  that had a case of
bloat...keep a good eye on
your next star...........cause somehow .......somewhere........they are related
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

Until a genetic  link has been proven, which it has not, I'm not sure it does
any good to talk about prevalence in lines.  That's just guesswork.  I have to
see some solid research on that before I would be ready to start calling people
liars and condemning their breeding practices.  A pattern does not necessarily
establish causation.  I would rather contribute a little money to research, and
hope many others were contributing as well, than play some totally unproductive
blame game.  I want REAL answers based on HARD SCIENCE, not CONJECTURE that
just causes HARD FEELINGS!!!  JMO
 Zoa   Dr. Zoa Rockenstein   www.riverrockshepherds.com
From: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If bloat appears to be more prevalent in the show lines, why is it the military
requires a prophylactic
Pexy (stomach tacking) be performed on all dogs entering the canine corps?
They must have a
reason for doing this and most of these dogs are not from our American show
lines.
I think the problem is across the board -- pet, show, working,
American/European lines.
Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member

From: "sally" <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>
Not necessarily just a show line problem.  But it sure seems like it has become
more prevalent in
those lines. And it seems to happen more frequently.
it may seem line show lines because people here do talk about it - how many pet
people  and
non-show people do you get to talk to -  Look at the size of this list.
Sally

Sorry, I'm not getting that feeling across the board from other lists.  They
seem to think it's more prevalent
here too.  Any way, aren't a lot of pets show lines, too?  Which would bring up
the point about the stress
of being on the road as a factor of bloat.  How would that factor in with pets?

But that's not the point, the point is prevalence in lines.  And I bet there
are particular lines across the
board, in every brand of gsd, and every dog that have higher percentages than
others.
 Denise W.    http://www.showgermanshepherds.info