[ SHOWGSD-L ] Raven update

  • From: "Lonna Fisher" <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:47:34 -0600

Hi all,
             Thank you to those that have asked how Raven's last vet visit went
................... it is not the news we wanted, as you know Raven has two
tumors one in her breast (not growing fast) and one on her upper gum area, this
one is 2 cm in length and it also is round like a large marble, this tumor is
firmly attached, no stem on it, the whole tumor is attached to the gum, and it
is growing quickly,  it was our plan to remove it by surgery but after a
careful look and a couple of phone calls to other vets it was felt that the
tumor was to big and to well attached meaning that to remove it would mean
taking a piece of her upper jaw, the other choice was laser surgery this could
possibly remove the part we could see but would not remove the part in the gum,
it also was a large area to laser leaving her with a very sore mouth,
.................. after a long discussion it was decided on vets' advise to
leave it alone and see if we could slow it's growth, Raven is on a immune
booster that is suppose to slow the growth (no guarantees) a omega 3 oil
supplement and her mouth is sprayed with a dental cleaner.
At 10 years old my black Raven is the picture of health, shiny coat, sparkling
eyes, always ready for a walk and still queen of the house .......... that is
until you lift her upper lip and see this growth that soon will prevent her
from eating and make us have to do the right thing for her and take that final
walk to the vet, ................. Raven is 7 generations of my breeding and
quite possibly the end of my line.

The only possible way to continue would be to use her son (who is a senior dog)
owned by my cousin but Connor is not proven and our attempt  to AI him to two
females failed,  another  attempt will be made this fall.

In the meantime if anyone has any other ideas on what we could do to help Raven
please let us know.

Thank you

take care,
Lonna