[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rattlers in AZ

  • From: "Michel A. Ebertin" <michel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:03:20 -0700

All my dogs have been "snake proofed" against rattlers in AZ.  This is done
via a 2-step approach.
First time an electronic collar is put on the dog and you casually approach
a wired cage full of live rattlers.  As soon as the dog leans over to sniff
(investigate) it is zapped.  All my dogs jumped backward and tried to run
away.  After calming the dog down you then try to come back to the cage.
The dog will not want to and pull away.
One or two weeks later you come back and this time the cage of rattlers is
hidden in a bush or behind an obstacle.  Now you walk on a straight line
which at some point comes close to where the rattlers are.  It is important
to watch the dog's reaction as you get closer to the hidden cage.  In most
cases the dog will try to make a wide circle around the area where the
snakes are and act differently.  This is important to note.  One of my dogs,
instead of making a wide circle started to crowd me and push me away from
the hidden cage.
This approach has two main advantages -- first it trains the dog to avoid
rattlers, don't even try to investigate.  Secondly it can save your life if
you and your dog come across a rattler.
Apparently, live rattlers have a very distinct odor about them -- which is
gone the moment the rattler is dead.

About a year or so after having my dogs "snake proofed" we stopped at a rest
stop in AZ where I walked my dogs.  There was a pile of rock at the edge of
the "dog" area and as we approached it my dog started to act in a funny way,
the same way he did when snake proofed.  Recognizing the signs I turned
around only to find a lady with a small dog heading straight towards the
rock area.  I warned her not to go there because there are rattlers there.
She asked me if I saw them, I said NO, but my dogs knows.  That didn't stop
her so I yelled at her to stop and watch my dog.  I then proceeded to walk
towards the rocks and told her to watch my dog.  As we approached he started
to act strangely again and I told her see what is doing -- there is at least
a rattler there.  At this point she acknowledged the warning and turned
around.
I was very proud of my dog, properly rewarded him once we got back to the
car.  That is the only time, that I know of, that my dogs met a rattler
after the training.  All I can say is, it works.

Michel Ebertin,
     In AZ