[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rally Novice and Heding Tested

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

I will admit that I am one of those people who has often said that RN and HT
are not really titles - but we had our herding trials this weekend and had an
experience that made me rethink that --
I was stock handling for the HT/PT test classes and a woman walked in with a
Corgie bitch. I know this woman has a wealth of show/trial experience and I
have seen her take wins in stride in both show and performance venues. But this
was her old lady dog - top producer in the breed - and this little bitch worked
her heart out and the owner and bitch looked and acted like they had just
conquered Mt Everest.

As I watched dog and owner dancing with glee, an elderly spectator said quietly
"I know just how she feels - I can't walk enough to do herding, but when we
earned our Rally title and we celebrated a lot. I framed the green ribbons and
everything. You probably don't understand, but it was so important to us."

So what may be an "unimportant" title to some can be a wonderful team building
effort for others. And at least the dog is getting to do something.

There are lots of well trained dogs who would have a hard time with some of
those upper level Rally exercises. Heck, I get lost in rally although I have no
trouble finding my way around the C-course advanced run.

Ruth