[ SHOWGSD-L ] Raised food dish and Bloat

  • From: Karen4paws@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:43:36 EST

We have always encouraged our clients to use raised food dishes for the
large breed dogs we place. One of our clienbts readt the following online and I

wondered is any of the vets on here had info regarding this

A five year perspective study of bloat has been done and is
continuing  at Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine.  An
edited version  of one of th publications is below.
The Purdue researchers, led by  veterinarian and epidemiologist Dr. Lawrence
T. Glickman, have thus far  issued two reports of their findings, both
published in the peer-reviewed  Journal of the American Veterinary Medical
Association (JAVMA).  The  more recent of the two, which appeared in the
November 15, 2000, issue of  JAVMA.

Four factors were found to be significantly associated with an  increased
risk of bloat.  The first two of these are under the control  of dog owners:

- Raising the food dish: The study found that a  raised food dish is
strongly associated with an increased risk of  bloat.  A raised food dish
more than doubled the risk for  bloat.

- Speed of eating: The study found that dogs rated by their  owners as very
fast eaters had a 38% increased risk of bloat.

-  Age was the third factor associated with a significantly increased risk
of  bloat.  The study found that the risk of bloat increased by 20% with  each
year of age.  Although aging is not a factor that can be  controlled, owners
should be more alert to early signs of bloat as their dogs  grow older.
_____