[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rainbow Bridge

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:27:49 -0600

My beautiful girl Cinder went to the Bridge yesterday.
I found her collapsed at 5:30 a.m. The ER vet pulled 8-10 oz. of blood
from the pericardial sac and did an ultrasound. Three hours later, she
collapsed again while they had her out to potty. Vet pulled another
quarter of a liter of blood. The cardiologist arrived and did another
ultrasound, revealing a mass on Cinder's heart which the cardiologist
strongly felt was Hemangiosarcoma.

The vet said chemo only helps 2/3 of the dogs who get it, and if it
didn't help Cinder, she would continue to hemorrhage. If it DID help,
it would buy her 3 to 5 months at best, and eventually she would bleed
out and die. I couldn't guarantee her that I would be with her when
that happened, and I didn't want her to die frightened and alone.

I can't believe that she has had NO symptoms, was playing Frisbee on
Sunday, and was FINE last night. But that's the way this cancer works.

She was the product of an artificial insemination from a littermate to
my Shawn who had been dead 10 years when the breeding was done.
Through the kennels of Caralon, Judeen, Quadrill and Judy DeRousse,
she was related to every one of my German Shepherds, past and present.

She was my clown, my mischief-maker, and such a sweet, sweet girl. For
the past year, she's been doing once-a-week Animal-Assisted Therapy
with a 12-year-old boy at a juvenile detention center. They adored
each other, and he's made such good progress.

She had just turned 8 in April and was the picture of health.

Goodbye, baby girl. " . . . in memory
You will always walk with me."

Fran Henry
Denver
Home of: DeRousse?s Cool Hand Luke OFA, HIC, 11 points, both majors
(Retired), CGC, Delta Society Therapy Dog
Waiting at the Bridge:
Henry?s Drummer Boy CDX, TD, SAR dog (1981)
Quadrill?s Kiss Me Kate, (1988)
Quadrill?s Shawnee, (1992)
Judeen?s Citizen Kane (2000)
Quadrill?s Cinderella HIC, TC, CGC, Delta Society Therapy Dog
04/21/01-07/29/09