[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rainbow Bridge

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:10:04 -0800 (PST)

Pat,
  We breed because we want to continue this wonderful breed. We breed so that
others can share in their love, intelligence and companionship. We breed,
because we Must. The breed is everything to us. And I also love the BLACKS.
Morgan
castle kennels <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  What started out as an average day has turned into one of great sadness for
me. Late this morning I received a call from the owner of one of my
puppies, Castle?s Zeus. This 7 ½ year old litter mate to my Blackberry Pie
died this morning after a long battle with a fungus infection that somehow
got into his spine. The owners never held back one cent when it came to
providing whatever medical treatment he needed including very expensive
medication for almost four years. They ended up going to the University of
Wisconsin Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Madison when none of the vets
around here could diagnose what was wrong with Zeus.

Zeus was not a show dog. His role in life was that of a beloved pet. He
spent his days chasing squirrels and balls and romping through the grass
with his half sister; and in the summer, he thought he was first mate as he
traveled across the lake in his boat feeling the spray of water splashing on
his face. Zeus had a wonderful life because he was so loved by his family.
For that I am thankful. He couldn?t have had a better home.

It is hard for me to believe he is gone. He was a clone of his father, my
Merlin. A beautiful, solid black, with the same magnificent head. Even his
temperament was that of his sire.

After I hung up still shaken from the news, I sat down and questioned what
I was doing. Why was I breeding German Shepherds anyway. It is just too
hard to lose one even if you no longer own it. The memories of a little
black puppy sitting in the corner by the door in my kitchen, and remembering
his little black face covered with the first falling snow?? I don?t know
why. The answers don?t come. Just the tears.

Pat

Castle Kennels, LTD.

Where Shepherds of Distinction Reign

www.castlekennels.com