[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rainbow Bridge

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 00:36:18 -0400

with
this marvelous dog........   And yes, I have lots of memories.
   The first time I ever saw him...to this day, it's one of my great
memories of all my years in dogs.

   The first time he won GV in Canada...I was home, on the phone with Randy
Darnell, who  was at ringside......suddenly I couldn't hear anything except a
tremendous
roar...and Randy screaming at me, over the phone, "Scoop won, Scoop won, Scoop
won!"

   And then the trip to St.Louis...where I discovered that even tho he
didn't live with me, he'd double for me...  and I remember Ed in the bar that
night, beginning
every sentence with "Your dog..."   as if he were mine alone.

   The day at Lehigh Valley...where the lineup of judges looked so good for
him (and was).. but it rained, and he didn't care for the rain in his ears.  He
showed
well enough to win the breed, tho, and then the rain stopped.   I remember him
under the
tent, standing on the grooming table, far away from all the other exhibitors,
who were all
whispering about him, pointing to him -- as he stood without being tied, with
no one
holding him  (we were sitting in chairs and pretty much ignoring him, but Kevin
told him to
STAY, so he did)...
   and after he won the group, how the buzz went around from all the big time
famous
   all-breed handlers, westminster winners, most of them, about the beautiful
German
   Shepherd....and then, when it was time for Best in Show, how the
   ringside crowd loved him, and how the handlers of the other 6 dogs in the
ring tucked  their leads away and clapped for him when he did his
individual.......and
how happy all of those big shot handlers were when Lee Brown came out with the
big
ribbon and said "German Shepherd."   It was the first and last time I ever saw
dog's competition happy when they lost......

   And then he won in Canada again, and then we were off to Daytona...where
Terry told me I had to get out of the building because Scoop was so busy
looking for me he wasn't paying attention to Terry......(my bad...I'd given him
the
leftovers  from my steak dinner...he watched me like a hawk after that
had to hide............

   As I said...lots of wonderful memories..........  he was truly a
once-in-a-lifetime dog
   not only for me, who only had a teeny bit of it, but for Kevin and Barb
and Mark...

   Farewell, big man...I'll keep a bit of steak in my pocket to give you at
the Bridge...

Peggy