[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rabies in Virginia......

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 18:10:58 -0500

A rabid kitten was found last weekend in Petersburg, Virginia, just a bit
south of Richmond.  So, in Petersburg they are rounding up stray cats and
euthanizing them right away unless the cats are wearing collars or are
really friendly...in which case they will be quarantined for 10 days to give
owners a chance to claim them.
The AC people are going door to door down there, checking rabies
shots......I'm wondering how long before this newest action goes state wide
(the door to door part, I mean).  Rabies has always been in our
wildlife...and all I can think is that this is not a legitimate act we have
here...after all, it was just this past July that it became mandatory for
vets to report to the County (and therefore, to the state) every animal to
whom they gave a rabies shot...with the owner's name and address, breed,
whether the animal was neutered or not....   Am I just being suspicious?
       On the news tonite they showed people at a vet's office being told
their animal's rabies vaccine had expired last year...so they are being
forced to get another rabies shot.  This, in spite of all the studies
complaining about over vaccination, etc..........
    The threat of rabies may or may not be valid...I just can't help but
think that the AR folks have had their way here in the Old Dominion.  Come
hell or high water, the authorities are going to know about every dog or cat
in the state...who has them, whether they are neutered or entire, and what
breeds we have........ and this information will be available to the public
upon inquiry.

    When I think about this, along with the MANDATORY innoculation of young
girls in public schools to prevent a possible disease later in life (there
was no option associated with this vaccine, either...when I say mandatory,
that's what I mean---I feel like we're getting closer and closer to an
Orwellian state.

Peggy