[ SHOWGSD-L ] RPOA<>TX Action Alert! Breeder/Sales/Lemon Law Bill Hearing tomorrow

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:23:41 -0700

TX Action Alert! Breeder/Sales/Lemon Law Bill Hearing tomorrow
Posted by: "Responsible Pet Owners Alliance" rpoa2@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 am ((PDT))
TX-RPOA E-News
>From RPOA Texas Outreach and
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
"Animal welfare, not animal 'rights'
and, yes, there is a difference."
Permission granted to crosspost.

March 31, 2009
ACTION ALERT!

HB 3180, the Puppy and Kitten Breeder/Dealer/Pet Sales/Lemon Law Bill, is
scheduled for a hearing at 8:00 AM Wednesday, April 1st in Austin. It will
be held in Room E2.016 in the Capitol Extension (2nd floor,) before the
Licensing and Administrative Procedures Committee.

Detailed maps of the Capitol Layout, all floors, visitors parking,
restrooms, etc are on our website: www.rpoatexasoutreach.org under the
Lobby Day Link.

We must have lots of "warm bodies" to back up our speakers and try to kill
this bill in committee. Martin Kralik and James Dark will be representing
and speaking for Responsible Pet Owners Alliance. You can sign a card in
opposition to this bill and don't have to speak. If you cannot attend this
hearing, please call, fax and email (all three!) to ALL committee members -
until noon Wednesday. Contact info and talking points are listed below.
Email rpoa@xxxxxxxxx if you can attend.

In fighting bad legislation, it is NOT advisable to "make it palatable" and
harder to defeat. You kill bad bills as written. Please repeat the
following sentence in all correspondence to legislators as Californians did
with AB 1634, which was eventually defeated after 8 revisions. "This bill
is fundamentally flawed and cannot be fixed with amendments!" Also tell
them that HSUS and Texas Humane Legislation Network do NOT
represent you.

* You've been told this is a "Puppy Mill" Bill. That is not true. It is a
pet bill and will affect anyone selling one dog or cat. Under "Retail Sales
of Dogs & Cats" the definition of "dealer" includes a person who is
"required to pay sales tax for the sale of animals," which includes every
sale in Texas. We've been told rescuers are required to collect sales
taxes.

* We've all been told by Texas Humane Legislation Network and HSUS that
this bill doesn't affect "hobby" breeders which is a lie. Yes, it does!
Numbers set on intact female dogs or cats allowed are irrelevant as they'll
be back every session until they legislate pet ownership out of existence.

* If this bill were "necessary to protect public health and safety" as
claimed, it would include all animal shelters and animal control facilities
that sell animals, yet they are exempt! Parvovirus, Distemper, Kennel
Cough, external and internal parasites and other diseases are rampant in
animal shelters and animal control facilities. We know because we take
these animals into our Rescue Program, rehabilitate them and find them new
loving homes. Veterinary bills average $400 to $1,000. How about this bill
addressing that?

* Raids and animal seizures from breeders, rescuers and "hoarders" with
substandard conditions are made on a regular basis in Texas with existing
local and state Animal Cruelty Laws. A new state department with personnel,
office expense, equipment, vehicles and facilities is an unnecessary burden
on taxpayers.

* This is a national "animal rights" legislative agenda to end all dog and
cat breeding. HSUS's stated goal is to get this legislation proposed in 34
states this year. To date they've succeeded in 16 states, including Texas.

* All animal control advisory boards in Texas are "stacked" by these
extremists - just as the Advisory Committee described in HB 3180 will be.. A
directory is to be published of all licensed facilities which will lead to
harassment from Animal Rights Extremists.

* John Stossel and his 20/20 TV Program did an expose on the SPCA of Texas
regarding seizures of animals that were not being cruelly treated but were
seized anyway. The 20/20 Program had a veterinarian pose as their cameraman
for the expose.

* Animal seizures are big fundraisers for humane societies who lobbied in
2003 to change state law disallowing animal owners the right to appeal a
hearing when their animals were confiscated. We're attempting to get that
changed this session to allow an appeal with HB 1046 by Mark Homer. Texas
Humane Legislation Network is vigorously opposing Homer's bill.

* Animal Rights Extremists work to get their legislation passed and then
volunteer to enforce it, using it as a "tool" for harassment of animal
owners. Palm Beach County, FL, is providing used uniforms to vigilante
animal rights activists to enforce their spay/neuter ordinance and hobby
breeders permit. It is being considered by Dallas and San Antonio Animal
Control Departments where onerous ordinances passed recently.

* The bill states that the new state department may designate a local
animal control authority or local humane society agent to enter private
property (our homes) for investigations and inspections with no prior
notice. Licensing of breeders and dealers allows access to premises without
a search warrant. This is not acceptable to us.

* If legislators vote "yes" to HB 3180, it will be political suicide in
Texas. Animal Rights Extremists are approximately 1% of the population. At
least 60% of Texas families own pets who have become members of their
family. Coupled with the Mandatory Pet Spay/Neuter Bill filed by Senator
Van de Putte, the extremists' agenda should be fully exposed at this session
of the legislature.

* Brokers and Commercial Breeders that sell to pet shops are already
regulated under USDA regulations. This bill is duplication.

* Retired hobby breeders worked their entire lives to be able to devote
full time to their hobby and participate weekends in AKC and UKC events;
such as Conformation, Agility, Obedience, Rally Obedience, Tracking,
Earthdog, Coonhound, Herding, Lure Coursing, Field and Hunting Trials, and
Junior Showmanship. The Animal Rights Movement wants to end all that.

* This type of legislation is very divisive among animal groups at a time
when we should all be working together for animal welfare. However animal
welfare obviously isn't the real goal of all groups. The extremists' goal
is to end all use, breeding and ownership of animals for any reason,
including pet ownership.

Capitol Address for all:
P.O. Box 2910, Austin, TX 78768

COPY OF HB 3180:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/html/HB03180I.htm

HB 3180 Author: Senfronia Thompson, District 141, Houston
Phone: (512) 463-0720
Fax: (512) 463-6306
Email: senfronia.thompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Licensing & Administrative Procedures
Clerk: Brittney Thomas
Phone: (512) 463-0798
Room Number: EXT E2.156

Committee members:

Chairman: Rep. Edmund Kuempel
Capitol Office: CAP 3N.06
Phone: (512) 463-0524
FAX: (512) 463-1260
Email: edmund.kuempel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vice Chair: Rep. Senfronia Thompson
Capitol Office: 3S.6, Capitol Building
Phone: (512) 463-0720
FAX: (512) 463-6306
Email: senfronia.thompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Warren Chisum
Capitol Office: CAP GW.15
Phone: (512) 463-0736
FAX: (512) 463-0211
Email: warren.chisum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Charlie Geren
Capitol Office: EXT E2.308
Phone: (512) 463-0610
FAX: (512) 463-8310
Email: Charlie.geren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Roland Gutierrez
Capitol Office: EXT E1.316
Phone: (512) 463-0452
FAX: (512) 463-1447
Email: roland.gutierrez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Mike Hamilton
Capitol Office: EXT E2.310
Phone: (512) 463-0412
FAX: (512) 463-1915
Email: mike.hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Delwin Jones
Capitol Office: CAP 3S.2
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0542
FAX: (512) 463-0671
Email: delwin.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Jose Menendez
Capitol Office: EXT E2.204
Phone: (512) 463-0634
FAX: (512) 463-7668
Email: jose.menendez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rep. Chente Quintanilla
Capitol Office: EXT E1.218
Phone: (512) 463-0613
FAX: (512) 463-1237
Email: chente.quintanilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RPOA Texas Outreach (501C4 Nonprofit)
www.rpoatexasoutreach.org
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance (501C3 Nonprofit)
www.responsiblepetowners.org

900 NE Loop 410 #311-D
San Antonio, TX 78209
$15 Annual dues (January - December)

Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org
AKC Legislative Liaison, GSDCA
Sunshine Squad <showgsd.org/sunshine.html)
GSDs and more