[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ROM Dams

  • From: Channing Sheets <cashe90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bruiser@xxxxxxxxxx" <bruiser@xxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 02:40:13 +0000

I would have to agree with you guys.  It isn't like it is easy to get an ROM on
a bitch.   In other breeds they have a litter of five pups they finish all of
them.  This doesn't usually happen in shepherds, in many cases you are lucky to
get one.   What happens if you have a bitch that has small litters?  Increasing
the numbers of champions and qualifiers could penalize some really high quality
producing bitches that will never be capable of producing numbers.   I have a
bitch that will probably only ever produce 2-4 pups per litter.   At that rate
the poor thing will never get her ROM.   Then there is the issue of misses just
because you breed them doesn't mean they will take and then you have to wait
another 4 to 6 months depending on their cycle.    If she is a high quality
bitch you are probably going to wait until after she is done showing.  She may
be 4 to 6 years old.  You might only get one or two breedings and heaven forbid
she misses.

Channing