[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER PET PROMISE

  • From: "R Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:31:58 -0400

I am a CGC Evaluator, the old Responsible Dog Owner pledge is the one Dania
cut and pasted from her CGC test and the one I am familiar with however,
there is a new pledge that does indeed state "both a collar with tags and a
micro-chip"...that was a shocker to me! I can't remember it coming through
to us in the evaluator updates. I am contacting them to make sure it's how I
read it.
I have only one micro-chipped dog...sometimes it bugs him so much he
scratches at it until it bleeds. The rest are tattooed, period. No
micro-chipping for me! I mean I spend $$$ to get rid of  foreign entities in
their bodies, I'm not putting anything in them that can float around...

AKC Press Release:

Bringing the message of AKC® Responsible Dog Ownership Day to life, the
American Kennel Club® today announced the launch of the AKC Responsible Dog
Owner Pet Promise. This 10-step oath is a reminder to both novice and
veteran dog owners that raising a healthy dog is about more than just
playtime and pampering. Training, grooming, exercise and veterinary care are
equally important in nurturing your best friend.
The AKC Responsible Dog Owner Pet Promise also advocates that owners must
ensure that their canines do not infringe on the rights of others. This
means adhering to local leash laws, properly disposing of your dog's waste
in all public areas, and training your dogs to sit, stay and come when
called.

AKC RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER PET PROMISE

As a dog owner, I do solemnly swear:

* I will never overlook my responsibilities for this living being and
recognize that my dog's welfare is totally dependent on me.

* I will always provide fresh water and quality food for my dog.

* I will socialize my dog via exposure to new people, places and other dogs.

* I will take pride in my dog's appearance with regular grooming.

* I will recognize the necessity of basic training by teaching my dog to
reliably sit, stay and come when called.

* I will take my dog to the vet regularly and keep all vaccinations current.

* I will pick-up and properly dispose of my dog's waste.

* I will make sure my dog is regarded as an AKC Canine Good Citizen® by
being aware of my responsibilities to my neighbors and to the community.

* I will ensure that the proper amount of exercise and mental stimulation
appropriate for my dog's age, breed and energy level is provided.

* I will make certain that my dog is identified with both a collar tag and a
microchip and I will adhere to local leash laws.

Rachel Anderson
Aaronswoods - Segensreich Kennel
Beauty * Utility * Versatility
http://segensreich.homestead.com