[ SHOWGSD-L ] RESCUE UPDATE.....repeat performance but IMPORTANT

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 08:42:53 -0700 (PDT)

(In attempting to assist Krista Hansen and "A Shelter Friend" in Bladen County,
NC, I was sifting through past posts to this list and stumbled across this one.
Krista is fighting for the lives of literally hundreds of dogs (many of them
GSDS...this is where Boone, Bear, Cole, Bach, Damsel and now Larissa have come
from) as the governing body in her town is attempting to stop her group known
as, "A Shelter Friend" from not only taking photos to be displayed on
Petfinder, but also making the salvation of any of these hapless souls nearly
impossible by implementing stringent rules with regard to who can "pull" from
their shelter. The Health Director is concerned about the unsavory publicity
that is being brought down upon them due to the posts on the internet
addressing the
gassing of dogs at this facility. Yet they do nothing to change their
euthanization technique. The ACO at this facility has worked tirelessly with
Krista, Silvia and
the local Vet Dr. Midyette to save as many as possible.
   All of the owner turn ins this week were summarily destroyed with no hope of
rescue in sight. Through an unbelievable effort, "A Shelter Friend" has reduced
the
euthanization rate in this facility from 90% to 10%! All of this will be a
memory if
we are not able to rally behind her and protest these new regulations.
  In order to be able to "pull" from this facility now, you MUST be 501c3
certified (which as anyone in rescue knows...is horrifically expensive and
takes forever to get approved), as well as registered in the State of NC as a
non profit. Make no mistake, these road blocks will cost GSD's their lives. "A
Shelter Friend" is a bridge organization, much like LHSH. They take photos,
network, transport and otherwise break their backs to save as many as possible.
I am sure that many of you were aware of the explosion in the NC gas chamber
recently; it was full of dogs at the time. If you live in NC, please contact
your Congressman, State Senator, Mayor or other Government official. Ask them
WHY the gas chamber has not been dismantled! Who BUILDS these chambers of
horror?? Is someone profiting from their use?  It is 2008....I do believe that
humanity owes these dogs a peaceful passing.
Anyway...PLEASE read the following post. It was published awhile ago...hope it
jogs your memory.
A HUGE thank you to the Administrators of this list for humoring your faithful
(albeit VERY sick with the flu) rescue person today.)
The Members of Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.
" After ushering my husband off to work, feeding and doing toilets for the
dogs, I took my coffee to sit in front of the computer and update my emails
from last evening.
  There were the usual brags and questions as well as some concerns for
transport for dogs; both for LHSH and the other twenty something rescue sites I
subscribe to.
All in all, around a thousandsomething emails to sift thru.
  A few hit me right off the bat; such as the one that I previously posted
regarding
Lancaster California and the horrendous situations there. Scrolling down, I
came across one entitled "Stop the brutal asphyxiation of animals at Yadkin, NC
shelter".
  As many of you know, LHSH is very involved in animal shelter reform. It is by
making these basic changes to the care and custody of the dogs in the kill
shelters that we can decrease the terror  that so many endure in their last
moments and offer them at least comforting arms and a peaceful ending.
With this in mind, I clicked and opened the email....I wish I hadnt.
The photo that accosted me was one of such tragedy that I do not believe I have
words to encompass it. MULTIPLE large dogs, in a gas box; one being held by a
catch pole all looking up at their murderer wondering what was next. It was a
video, but truthfully....I could not bring myself to watch it. Very unusual for
me; as I feel that to bear witness is to validate the existence of their lives
and to honor them and give me the strength to continue this fight.
  All that kept going through my mind was, "what had they done to end up this
way"...and then the memories of the little GSD pup in Anadarko Oklahoma, the
poor boy in Roicy duHon Louisiana, and the countless other GSD's  whose
Petfinder site lists as "Oops..this pet is no longer listed" (a euphemism for
dead) came flooding back.
  Joe Maringo, one of our board members was able to do a search on Petfinder.
There are more than SEVEN THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED dogs LISTED as
GSD's, another EIGHT THOUSAND listed as Shepherds and TWO HUNDRED TWENTY WGSDs
in the shelters. Keeping in mind that not all shelters HAVE petfinder sites,
and that many facilities do not know what a sable GSD IS, I am sure the count
may vary either way 10 to 15%. Even given this leeway...the amount of dogs is
staggering.
  While many counties are eliminating the dreaded gas box, they are opting for
either IP injections or IC injections...neither of which affords a peaceful
demise.
Walker County shelter in Georgia will hopefully be closed down soon...allegedly
in violation for using a diluted solution to euthanize. Floyd County allows
injured animals to languish overnight in agony and cages aggressive animals
together causing injuries and worse. Trumbull county in Ohio has no protocol in
place for injured animals either, as Pat Lukos will attest when she tried to
save the life of a GSD pup who had been hit by a car only to find that after
DAYS of sitting in a cage, she had been gassed to death on the day that Pat was
due to pick her up.
  I know....this is not pleasant information to read. I know it is upsetting
and that you carry it with you; as do I. However, for us to hide our heads in
the sand and not realize that it is OUR GSDS that are suffering, is to allow
these killing fields to continue.
  Please, take a moment to find out how shelter animals are treated in your
area. If they do NOT use IV sedation followed by sodium phenobarbital, PLEASE
ASK WHY. Question budgets for animal care and control in your area. Write
letters to the Mayor, Senator, Governor...make your voice heard. In this time
when there are SO many bills attempting to be passed limiting our rights to
have companion animals and to breed quality GSDs, it is imperative that the
public SEES that WE...the members of the GSDCA...CARE and are doing something
to halt the slaughter of innocent animals. We desperately need to differentiate
ourselves from the BYB's, millers and those who "just want their children to
experience birth"....We cannot be painted with the same brush. We need to make
the term
"breeder" synonymous with "caretaker of the breed".
  LHSH has now been instrumental in the salvation of over 100 dogs...puppies
and seniors slated for the gas box. It is because of all of you...CARETAKERS
AND GUARDIANS OF THIS BREED...that this has come to fruition. It is a herculean
task, to be sure. But we MUST NOT FALTER...We cannot save them all; lets see to
it that not one more of our precious breed spends his last moments in abject
terror. We truly are ...THEIR last hope.
Thank you all for taking the time to read this and to the administrators of
this list for their  continued support of those who wait for better days...lets
hope we are not too late"
Dawn Restuccia, Pres.

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven