[ SHOWGSD-L ] REPORT: New Mexico State Bar, Legal Education - Animal Interest...

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:56:08 -0700

The parts I have cut below are very, very sobering. What Ron describes is an
Animal Rights Convention being held in Albuquerque...

Steven Wise is the author of "Rattling the Cage" that is referred to as the
Animal Rights Magna Charta. Add to that members of ALDF, HSUS, and other
State and Local chapters of HSUS...there wasn't an unbiased person in the
audience except Ron.

If New Mexico goes for this...all is lost within the State and it will be a
huge victory for the ARO's and their minions. I suggest bombarding the
Legislators and the Media with letters objecting to the direction they are
heading. Surely there must be some sane folks in that Government...

Paul

 INTRODUCTION

 On Friday, May 6, I attended a New Mexico  State Bar continuing legal
education program, â?oRecognizing Animal Interests in  the Law.â??
Unfortunately, the tone of the meeting was more like an Animal Rights
rally, not a legal education program.  I am particularly concerned about
the support given by the New Mexico State Bar to the Animal Rights agenda.
I am also concerned by statements from Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez  and
Albuquerque City Councilor Sally Mayer, supporting the Animal Rights
agenda.

BACKGROUND

Recognizing Animal  Interests in the Lawâ?? was an all-day, New Mexico State
Bar continuing legal  education program, running from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and
was approved for 7.2  General CLE Credits.  About 30 people attended, and an
unknown number of  others participated through video-teleconferencing.  The
meeting started  with an impassioned statement about Animal Rights from the
Director, Center for  Legal Education, New Mexico State Bar.  I had expected
a more objective  perspective from the State Bar.  There was applause
throughout the day for  statements supporting the Animal Rights agenda.  It
appeared that nearly  all in attendance supported Animal Rights.

The moderator of the legal  education program was a local Animal Rights
attorney.  The keynote speaker  was Steven Wise, President, Center for the
Expansion of Fundamental Rights  (CEFR).  Other speakers represented the
Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF),  the New Mexico Attorney Generalâ?Ts
Office, the Humane Society of the United  States (HSUS), and the Santa Fe
Animal Shelter and Humane Society.