[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: REASONS ?

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 12:29:29 -0400

Super post Evan AND objective too.  My take has always been:  When I look at
any colored shepherd, whether it be black, white, sable, black & tan, etc,
I see a German Shepherd Dog.  I feel that I am objective.  Like Evan, I
haven't seen one VALID argument for keeping white GSDs out of the
conformation ring.  Perhaps this is because of the prejudice against solid
black GSDs that I witnessed in the breed ring of the 80s.  There were many
quality black dogs that were rarely put up (in the East anyway) and did not
finish their championships.  My point is that there were and probably ARE
prejudices.  Whites are not inferior, they are not superior, they are German
Shepherd Dogs.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever

In a message dated 11/2/13 8:50:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Anne  Tracy, Margaret C. Throop, Edith May Schley, Vemon Castle, John
Volkman, Paul  Huhn, & B.R. Ruggles

These were the founders of the GSDCA.

I wonder what they each thought about Whites.

I know there have been many posts to stop the AKC from allowing the
membership to vote on getting rid of the DQ of Whites. I am missing the
point,  it
seems to me we should welcome the vote to see what the majority of the
GSDCA  members want to do about it.

But, what is missing is why we should keep the Whites out of our  ring.  It
is no longer thought that it is a sign of weakness. It seems to  be untrue
that they die at age five or six. We no longer believe, (or at least  for
me), that they carry some genes that do harm to the breed.

We now know the white shepherds are being bred to the black and tans, and
producing both black and tans that can finish, and whites that go on to
serve  all functions in our society that the black and tans do.

We know they are as healthy and as long lived as the rest of the  breed.

So, then what is the problem?

Maybe it is time to stop talking about what they were considered in the
50s, and decide what they are today.  If you believe the white shepherd is
inferior in health, temperament, structure, or life span, then they should
be
eliminated from the gene pool.

If you believe they are just the same as all the other colors, have no
genetic problems that they will pass on to the breed, then they should be
accepted as a German shepherd with a masking gene.

It is up to each of us to decide.  While I have seen a number of posts
saying to allow the Whites into the gene pool will do great harm to the
future
of the breed,  so far, I have seen nothing that makes me know why that
would happen.

I have spoken to the White breeders and judged their National. On an
average they do more health tests than the average breeder does. They are
more
selective of breeding than others, and have for years stayed true to a dream
while being castigated on a constant basis.

I can see my opinion being formed, and if I ever get a chance to vote  on
the issue, I guess I have figured out where I will go. But, I am still open
to other opinions and reason.

Blind arguments about disqualifying Whites because they are white, doesn't
do much for me.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together