[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question on Parvo?

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:19:39 -0400

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Edwin Hill
<edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>.I can smell parvo on both ends of a puppy....

OMG!! That SMELL!! Once you have experienced that awful=20
"parvo odor," you will never forget it. I was working in a
large vet hospital during the big parvo epidemic in the early
80s -- before they had the vaccine. Horrible time! We watched
entire litters of puppies brought in. We even treated a couple
of sick coydog puppies that someone had found. At the height
of the epidemic, our hospital was closed to all but emergency
patients because it was just too risky to have animals in for
routine things like neutering. We had too many patients for
the isolation ward, so eventually, the entire hospital became
one giant parvo unit. I personally went through several pairs
of leather shoes and uniforms from the clorox we were using to
spray ourselves down with. Even though it was a dilute
solution, it would totally eat away the leather and cloth.

Absolutely... HORRIBLE!!!  :(
=3D*=3D*=3D*=3D*
Karen C.
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
   -- Captain Max von Stephanitz, German Shepherd Dog breed founder