[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question of spots on tongues

  • From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 05:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

So it may be fair to say that it's a hereditary birth mark?  Carolyn, of course
you know that Chop is a Bono grandson, and shares many traits from that side of
the pedigree.  I never thought about asking if any of his aunts/uncles have
spots, or any of his littermates.  He has two litters on the ground, I am
curious to find out if they'll have the spots as well.  As of yet, I have no
idea if he's black factored.

Denise W.
The Good Ole Boys~Chopper and Chase
http://www.showgermanshepherds.info
for show and performance
(join my site ring-follow the link)

________________________________
  From: Denise Williams To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, April 03,
2010 6:20 PMSubject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question

  This is interesting. I've heard so many things. Some say it means good
pigment. However, on the pedigree database  list, there are
   folks with white dogs, cream, sable and all degrees of pigmentation who have
black spots on there tongues. It's not restricted to german lines or american
either. The best explaination I've read is that both humans and dogs have
pigment producing epithelium (they do have some black in there gums). So
basically it's a birth mark.  I swear chop did not have a black spot on the
front of his tongue when I got him, but now he has a very large spot.

  http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/BlackTongueDebate.htm