[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question for the list - Vaccines

  • From: JANGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:24:40 EST

I just had a puppy that passed away that I had sold to a wonderful couple.  I
found out on Sunday that she had just died.  She was 5 1/2 months ago.  She
did have all her shots.  The vet did do a Parvo test and it did come back
negative.   All her litter mates are fine, this was a repeat litter and the
first
litter is all fine.  I am thinking that she got into something and she was
poisoned.  Unfortunately the emergency room vet put her body in the freezer, so
necropsy cannot be done.

The owners googled Parvo and thought she had Parvo even though the test came
back negative.  I use the Progard series of Vaccines.  I will never use
anything else.  Most vets here use either the Progard or Fort Dodge.  I called
the
vet that treated this puppy and asked the receptionist what type of vaccine
they use.  She said they used Vanguard.  I was shocked as I don't think very
much
of this vaccine.  About 15 to 20 years ago, I had used the Vanguard vaccine
and I had brought Parvo back from another breeder's house, this is before I
learned to bleach after coming from a vet's or breeders, etc.  My puppies had 2
Vanguard vaccines.  I had 4 puppies come down with Parvo inspite of the
vaccine.  I did research and found that the Vanguard Vaccine was a very poor
vaccine
and my pup's did not have the protection I thought they had.  That is when I
switched to the Progard series and have never looked back.  So now I am
concerned that maybe the owners were right and she did have Parvo.  Does any
one have
any recent information on the Vanguard Vaccines?  Have they improved over the
years?  Thanks for any information!

Janet
_http://www.janmargsd.com/_ (http://www.janmargsd.com/)
_http://www.petsnaturalchoyce.com/_ (http://www.petsnaturalchoyce.com/)
"An Online catalog featuring all-natural herbal and homeopathic remedies for
pets and the people who love them."
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.