[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question for candidates

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'freelist'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:02:18 -0700

Ed, I did not run for the board until I asked the incoming president about her
policy on the flow of information. She assured me that there would be no
restrictions, with the exception of executive session, for legitimate purposes.
Prior to that time there was an expectation of privacy, or so it seemed to me,
that the membership would get any information they needed from the minutes and
that there would be no other communications. Had that policy been continued, I
would not have run.

Democracy is messy. It is supposed to be. The people should never be sheltered
from the process or the information because the power comes from them and we
serve them at their delegation.

I think the board has done pretty well with that over the years, although some
might disagree, but it remains a constant point of suspicion and needs to be
constantly reinforced with open communications. The problem is in knowing what
information people actually want. I personally do not need a blow by blow
record of all conversation, cross talk and burps. Some do. I just want to know
the decisions and the reasoning in brief.

I also want to know that any member of the board is available to talk about it
and discuss it with the members. Messy? Of course. So what?

Dave