[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question? chilled semen verses natural breeding

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: crystaridge@xxxxxxx, Lealynn@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:54:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2006 6:24:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
crystaridge@xxxxxxx writes:
Well, I  think I have to agree with Liz.   We did two shipments of chilled
and FOUR
A.I.'s and no pups.

Did you do Trans-cervical AIs or just a normal (into her vaginal tract)  AI?
Did the vet check the quality/quantity of the sample?  Was an  extender used?
So many variables.

Needless to say, we did all the progesterone testing
to pinpoint
the optimum time.  The bitch was a proven  producer.

The next time we did chilled,  different  female,   we did a surgical
implant ---- NOT a big deal for  my
girl - just a small incision and as Liz explained in an earlier  post,  they
just injected the
semen into both horns of the  uterus.

They do this with Trans-cervical too, some of the solution gets put into
each horn of the uterus.  Since it ends up in exactly the same place  without
anesthesia, incision etc., I'm still a big fan of Trans-cervical.

There are so many factors to consider, the skill of the reproductive vet
etc., and sometimes even proven bitches miss when bred naturally, so maybe your

bitch missing didn't have anything to do with the method, or maybe she was
were  pregnant and possibly reabsorbed, who knows?

All I can tell you is that I've been pleased. I DO know my guy is a nut
about getting timing right and I have been there all hours and on weekends,
lol:)

I too think we will be seeing a lot more of this with difficulty shipping
bitches, etc.  Interesting discussion:)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_