[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question? chilled semen verses natural breeding

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: karekedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:19:19 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2006 1:54:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
karekedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I would  like to ask the list, and the vast amount of experienced GSD
breeders out  there, what your experience has been with chilled semen.
I would like to  know what your success rate has been on Chilled semen verses
natural breeding  . I also would like to know what vet in Colorado has the
best success rate for  implanting. Also, I was told that there is a trans
cervical method and a  surgical implantation method both better than a straight
AI.
Have you seen any  difference in the first two methods. I have had good
success with straight AI  when using fresh semen with both dogs on site but I
have
no experience with  chilled .
Thank You All Very Much,
Connie Williams

If you want to AI and you have a vet that is proficient w/  trans-cervical,
I'd most definitely go that route instead of surgically  implanting the bitch
to both avoid anesthesia and avoid scaring the  uterus.

Anyplace there is scar tissue (from a c-section, where a previous placenta
has attached to the uterine wall, where you have scaring from any abnormalities
 <doggie endometriosis?> and even though not a large incision from surgical
implants) a new placenta can not attach and take nourishment from the uterine
lining.

(I've probably been there for a more than a half-dozen trans-cervical
procedures at this point and the bitches don't even flinch; just stand relaxed
on a
grooming table.)

Your success with any method will have to do w/ timing, viability of the
sample, health of the uterus, etc., etc. When you are talking about using
chilled, you are generally talking about using extenders.  There are three
different companies that make the kits w/ extenders and they all seem to  have
different "magic" potion.  Of course they all proclaim the highest  success
rate;
you'll have to do your own homework!

Here's a web site with more info on trans-cervical;
_www.cloneusa.com_ (http://www.cloneusa.com)

You might call them for a recommendation for who is proficient w/
trans-cervical in your area.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_