[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question about showing....

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: kebre1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:03:18 -0400 (EDT)

I'm probably going to surprise you and say "maybe".

Let's take this in reverse.  I usually bat about 50% - 60% w/  elbows.
Elbows that look beautiful come back DJD1.  Then the'd (used  to, now they
don't certify hips/elbows anymore), go to OVC pass w/ flying  colors. My vets
refuse to "call" what elbows will be graded these days.  DJD1 doesn't bother
me.  I've had very senior dogs w/ DJD1 never take  a bad step.  (Note, I am
NOT talking UAP).

Hips?  I once passed on a beautiful bitch who would have been a real  asset
to my breeding program who had a tiny flat spot and wasn't going to
certify. Other than that flat spot, hips were beautiful, deep set etc.  It was
never going to bother her.  I would make a very different  decision today.

With all of the other crap I am afraid of in today's pedigrees...I'd roll
the dice.  There's a whole lot of dogs not living enough to know if  they
will need a little glucosamine at 12+.

As far as showing, sure, I'd finish her, maybe not special but for
different reasons.  IF I am going to breed a bitch I want her to have her
first
litter around 3 (no later) and I spay girls at 6.  I just find it's  easier to
get and keep them pregnant if they have a litter by 3 and harder after  6.
Sure there are exceptions, but I made enough installments to my repro
vets' children's college funds to know not to count on exceptions.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 9/10/2013 8:33:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kebre1@xxxxxxx writes:

Hi,    I was asked the other day,  if you had bitch  that you were showing
and won a select.   Then had her x-rayed and  found out she was bad elbows
and hips would you continue to show her, even at  the nationals again.???
Also , would you breed her??   I  couldn't honestly answer this...had my own
opinions  but wondered what  your opinions on this would be.... I personally
would not put any more money  into showing the animal..... what do you all
think....   thanks...
POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.