[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question about Rimadyl

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:55:54 -0500

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:48:29 EST, Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx wrote:=20

>Is there something safer to keep down inflamation over a long
>period of time?  This isn't something I've ever dealt with  before,
>but I know Rimadyl can have some serious complications
>over time.   If I can get some suggestions, maybe I can  talk
>to her vet with her.

We have some vets on this list, so I'm hoping they'll chime in
as I, too, would be interested in an answer to this question.

I know that with people, some folks take strong drugs, such as
Daypro, on a long term basis without too much harm or trouble.
Course... You always have to watch your liver functions! From
personal experience, I know Rimadyl to be *fairly* safe as far
as strong, anti-inflammatory drugs go. It is also rated for
short-term pain relief after surgery or when recovering from
injuries. If she does go on it for awhile, make sure they keep
up with the pup's blood work. She should try to always give
Rimadyl with food or on a full stomach!! It wouldn't hurt to
also give her a Pepsid AC tablet or some Maalox as a chaser to
further protect her tummy. When I had my very elderly girls on
Rimadyl to help manage their painful joints, my vet had me add
SAM-e to their daily regime in order to help detoxify and
protect their livers. So that is also something from her to
check out with her vet.

Now I'll sit back and listen to what our list experts say!  :)
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx