[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question - How do you sell a litter of Puppies?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:59:45 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2006 12:38:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I know  this sounds elementary but with a litter of 5 week old puppies, I'm
trying to  come up with a better process for both myself and the  buyers...

What age do you send puppies  home?
Pet verses Show - when do you make the picks for show puppies?  How do you
decide the order for picks?
Do you match all buyers with  puppies or do you give them choices?
What means do you use to  advertise....word of mouth, reputation or something
else?
When do  you let potential buyers see the puppies?
Registration - do you name  and send in the papers or do you let the buyers
do it?
Deposits - do  you refund if the buyer backs out?

Any other  thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks in  advance

Cindy

I start taking deposits (50%) as soon as I know the bitch is  pregnant, and I
usually go into a litter w/ 4-5 deposits.  When I receive a  check from a
qualified party, I send a letter of understanding that the deposit  is
refundable
IF I can't meet their preference for the sex of a puppy they  want.  I know
what I want before 6 weeks.  I have the puppies vet  checked, w/ health certs
issued and started on their immunizations a few days  before six weeks because
at that point I allow the companion people to make  their "picks" based on the
order I received their checks.  (And BELIEVE ME,  this gets more serious than
the NFL draft, lol!  Just went through this,  BLIZZARD and all, come hell or
high water, if they had to crawl up my VERY LONG,  VERY STEEP drive that
resembled a luge run despite the plow man's best efforts,  DESPITE me saying
"don't
come, we can reschedule!!!", people were coming to make  their "picks"!!!!!)
Puppies go home after they reach 8 weeks.

I'm a member of the PA Federation of Dog Clubs and that brings in calls,  but
my dogs are out there doing stuff, usually w/ kids hanging all over them and
that brings in even more calls.  I have a web site, this year our regional
club has a web site, so that all helps, and the litter I just had, I paid the
extra $30 to be listed on the AKC web site and that worked as well.

I let people register their own puppies, and I've never had to do it, but
yes, I would refund a deposit rather than let a puppy go where it's not wanted
210%.

Good luck with your litter:)

Kathy