[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question / Give UP??

  • From: Linda H. <stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>, showgsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 23:11:09 -0500

My first litter of German Shepherd puppies were the downfall of my knees in
1986.  They tripped me in the garage and I fell on both knees on hard concrete.
 My knees kept getting worse after that.  I persevered for many years breeding
and showing my shepherds because I love the breed and I love showing.  In l998
I got my first Tibetan Spaniel.  I never had much success in the shepherd ring
as I showed my own dogs and could not afford a handler.  I finally put a point
on my bred by girl and that was a huge thrill.  Then when I started putting
points on my first Tibbie, I was really overjoyed.  I had an accidental Tibbie
litter and got my first two home bred champions from that litter.  I did my
homework and my third litter produced a nice puppy who was winners dog at our
national from the 6-9 puppy class.  That whole litter of 4 became champions.
We do have some health issues in the breed, but by being careful and sharing
information about problems in our dogs, we are protecting our breed and making
progress in our breeding programs.

This past weekend in Savannah, GA, I just finished another champion.  He was
shown at our national in March and his only claim to fame from that show was
that he went best senior puppy in our futurity.  I showed him at one show in
April and he picked up his first major along with his litter sister.  I put him
up and did not bring him out again until the Augusta, GA shows in November.  He
won both days.  Hmmmm...we're on a roll here, so he was entered in Savannah.
We did nothing the first day, but both Ace and his sister Lil won 4 point
majors on Friday.  Ace went on to pick up two more 4 point majors and
finish....all from the bred by exhibitor class.  I could never have done that
with a German Shepherd!  I had both knees replaced last year so there is no
running anymore for me.  I am able to just walk around the ring with my Tibbies
and that is good enough for me.

I have one remaining German Shepherd and he is very precious to me.  He just
did a cute thing tonight by curling up on top of a Tibbie bed.  He kind of hung
off the sides but he was all snug and comfy!  And of course I got a picture!

Linda Hendrix
St James Shepherds
Lin Chi Tibetan Spaniels