[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx, PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, Dglov49@xxxxxxx, Aletemar1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 10:24:44 EST

In a message dated 11/5/2006 9:36:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 11/5/2006 6:32:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx writes:
Its my  understanding that both the sire  and dam have to be  carriers

I doubt this and the reson I do  is, I have a bitch that produced  esophogus
in her first litter, then  I bred her a different way but to a dog that  had
(after I bred her)  produced 2 in a litter.  I got none... Is it luck of  the
draw
or is it a single dog issue?

Don't   know..

Deb

That's my understanding too, Patty and Deb, that it comes from both  sides.
You can breed the bitch a different way, and if the sire isn't a  carrier,
you'll (still) have some progeny that are carriers (taking a gene from  mom;
the
math should be 25%).  If dad is a carrier, you should have 25%  with symptoms,
50% carriers and 25% clear.  Of course, in a single litter,  nothing works
out mathematically like that!

I think a big part of the problem we have with this is that some dogs show
little or no symptoms and get into the gene pool.

So sorry to the original poster.  Have the x-ray, it's safe.   You'll know
for sure what you are dealing with (could also be PRAA).

You'll hear stories about some mega puppies that grew up to have nice  lives,
some that died young from aspiration pneumonia and everything in  between.
This is a tough call to have to make with your first  litter!

As for what to do with your gal, that too is a decision only you can make
after some serious soul searching, but for sure, now that you know she is a
carrier, if you decide to breed her, you'll have to be extra careful to find a
male that isn't, keeping in mind that mega is still something you'd have to
"breed away from" with her progeny too.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_