[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: QUES... Futurities - Regional Showcases?

  • From: Gatlinp@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, TISHW@xxxxxxx, campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx, CagGra@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:13:33 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/2007 11:38:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
Hi Christine;
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning in increasing  Futurities.    Are
you saying we will have a
sudden influx of participating Breeders and Exhibitors that we did not
normally have before because
of less Futurities available to and a further distance to travel?
I don't see any other way it will increase Futurities except to attract  new
people and how can that
be, if we send them three or four States away?
We take away the more local Futurities from the more local people and add
about 10 more hours
of driving and it will INCREASE the Futurities?    Not  sure what I am
missing here.

I can't answer for Christine, but here is how I see decreasing the number  of
futurities:

1. Cost Factor--Fewer Judges (5 verses 9), probably larger entries at the 5
futurities (not particularly larger overall entries).  More money for the
hosting club (larger entries produce larger revenue) With small entries for
some
clubs, I can't see them even breaking even.
Savings on Ribbons, Trophies etc. (I know they are paid by Purina at  present
but maybe not forever).

2. Distance: People who normally enter the futurity/maturity are not  usually
hindered by distance. The fancy usually goes where the Judge is best for  the
dog--no matter. Example  Winner in one of the California Futurities was  from
St. Louis, North West Maturity winner from ST. Louis, Virginia Futurity  from
Atlanta.
I'm not sure about new people because I am having a hard time locating  them,
and I know that's part of the problem and that needs to be a separate
discussion. First we need to get them interested in Confirmation so they will
breed, nominate litters and enter futurities.
JMHO       Peg