[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy w/supposed Pano......not pano.....

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Erynbrook@xxxxxxx, mcgraw-art@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 20:15:27 EDT

In a message dated 8/8/2007 6:54:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Erynbrook@xxxxxxx writes:
My  biggest question is -- how did your vet originally diagnose the  pano?
Did
he actually shoot films of the affected limb?  unaffected limbs?  I ask  this
because I too have an  animal suffering from pano, and if x-rays can no
longer
be  believed, we're all in deep trouble! TIA --   Susan

I am going to answer a bit of this for Angela, and she can fill in  the
blanks.  Her vet xrayed, pano was there but was a secondary  problem, not the
cause
of what was going on with her pup.   From  what I can understand from the
neurologist at the OVC (Ontario  Veterinary College) diagnosing myelitis,
scarily
enough, is understanding  it symptomatically.  Meaning, you have to
understand what you  are looking at to help guide you to the diagnosis.  I had
never
seen a pup like this one until it hit my boy.  Angela had a gut  feeling there
was more than pano going on, why she came on the list  looking for idea's.
Not saying pano is not there, but it is not the underlying  cause, and may,
just may as Kathy S and I have speculated be  indicative that pano "could" too
be the result of an infection.  The  fact that Albon is clearing it up for
same points that way.  Not a  vet here, but finding out what was wrong with my
boy was difficult,  and we only got there with some help and thoughts from a
good friend  who seeing my pup thought it looked very similar to EPM in horses.

I have another large boned pup in this litter that looks as tough he  may be
headed just in the direction of pano. When it hits, I am going  to treat him
with TMS antibiotics and see as a test if it goes  away.   This one has peaked
my curiosity.  Will keep you  posted.
In the meantime, I am so happy for Angela that Luke is showing  improvement
so quickly.  It was the 5th day I noticed a change in my  pup.   And there are
others....I hope they have success with  this also.
Molly

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC  of Beaumont, Life member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new.  Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of  professionals built the  Titanic"