[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy w/Pano concerns......??

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: mcgraw-art@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 21:29:29 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2007 7:03:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
mcgraw-art@xxxxxxx writes:
It  breaks my heart to see him like this but my vet (very competent) tells
me to have patience with this youngster. PLEASE list any words from  you and
your experiences or things to try would be appreciated as I  know some of you
must have had pano in a pup before. Thanks so  much.
Very Sincerely,
Angela B.  McGraw

For those  that have responded to Angela, we have just had  a very long
conversation.  I had a pup in my last litter with exactly  the same symptoms so
wanted to talk to her.   I feel her pup  is the same as mine exactly...this is
not pano.  I xrayed my boy from  stem to stern and did blood work.  The xrays
were sent to OVC in  Canada along with the blood work.
My pup we feel has had spinal  myelitis.   He was  treated with TMS
antibiotics for 15 days, then put on  Doxycline.  He started to show
significant change
after 5  days....prior to that he could not jump up into the van or even step
up,  he needed to be lifted.  Then on day 5 he jumped right  in.   He has
continued to improve and we are hopeful for his  future as he is a stunning
puppy.
I described symptoms to Angela who has confirmed them identical to  her boy.
Hit at the same time exactly...just shortly after 3 1/2  month.  She is
contacting her vet with my info in the morning, and I  have given her my vet in
Canada's number to speak to also.
More than my fingers are crossed Angela for a full recovery.....I  know the
heartbreak and fear of this one.
If anyone is interested in further info, please don't hesitate to  contact me
privately.
Molly

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC  of Beaumont, Life member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new.  Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of  professionals built the  Titanic"