[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy thoughts and questions-Long

  • From: "Iza Ackerman" <izaackerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:01:32 -0500

I definitely have a thought on question #3 - I used to use shavings, and of course found them EVERYWHERE - in my clothes, in the sofa, etc. I now use horse bedding - available at places like Tractor Supply. It is natural wood pellets, and of course the puppies will initially put some in their mouths, but I don't think it hurts them. And, BTW, I also use these pellets for cat boxes.

Iza Kabuska-Ackerman
www.Karizmashepherds.com
AKC Breeder of Merit
Breeder of a Canadian Grand Victor, an American Grand Victor,
and many more beautiful dogs !
-----Original Message----- From: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:12 AM
To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy thoughts and questions-Long

So, my crew was started on big kid food because Sky doesn't seem that interested in having them nurse. She likes to be near them but not too keen on laying down a lot for the pups. I can't believe how most of the food ends up on the pups instead of inside their tummies!! Haha They sure are messy little monsters!! But, they must be eating some of it as they pass out cold after they eat! They will be 4 weeks on Friday.

We are moving them from the spare bedroom to the family room this weekend where all of the household action is. We have been taking each pup out every day twice a day by themselves and playing and holding each one in the family room away from littermates.

Question 1- I have been feeding 4 times a day and they never quite finish so I pick it up. Should I leave water in there now all the time?

Question 2: For those of you that have winter Litters (I am in New England), when do you get the pups outside and for how long each time? We had one warm day last week so I brought them out with Sky for 10-15 minutes. But, I worry that if I don't bring them out they won't know what outside is and might be harder to house train. But, can they withstand cold temps for short periods of time?Thoughts please?

Question 3-I am going through A LOT of paper to line the whelp box. I was thinking when I moved them to family room to put a linoleum strip down and put my horse shavings in a part of the whelping box. One breeder suggested I could even get a kiddie pool and put shavings in that and put in pen area. Thoughts please?

Question 3- what type of puppy fence do you use in your playpen because they already popped out the door frame on my Durawhelp box. My husband has had to fix it three times! I don't think the metal ones I see at shows would be sturdy enough. Thoughts please?

Question 4- I had a couple breeders suggest that for a first time bitch, it is better to breed her back to back the first time and then space out breedings. Just asking for opinions on that.

Question 5- Sky is starting to shed. I don't mean just her regular shed but I mean like I scratch her and she gets up and there is a PILE of hair!!! Holy crap. What's going on?

Sorry for long message!

Thanks,
Sarah

---

POST is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and its
administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed in
any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.
For assistance, please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://showgsd.org/mail.html
NATIONAL BLOG - http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/