[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy sores??

  • From: "Gail Bauman" <gailbauman@xxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:43:15 -0600

Just a quick question for y'all - I have an eleven week old puppy (litter of
five) who has sores on the backs of his hocks and the back part of the big pad
on his back feet.  They are probably as big as the tip of an eraser, and are
open, like blisters that have lost the top skin.  My older boy had these but
only on his hocks and after a few weeks he basically grew out of them - none of
the other puppies in the litter have these sores.  What may be causing them and
how do I treat them?  I notice when looking at him moving and etc. he is
probably a bit "down" on his hocks in the back, probably the most of anyone in
the litter.  He and his litter mates are in a 4 x 10 foot kennel run in the
garage, with one of those horse stall mats (4 x 6 - thick rubber) on one end
with a tarp covering the 4 feet on the other end of the run over the concrete
where they do their "business", and newspaper covering all of it - I try to
shred some up or at least put several layers kind of crumpled so they have a
softer place to sleep.  The vet said not to treat them with anything just keep
them clean, and put him on a softer surface until they heal - I'm trying to
figure out how to do that - the only way I can think to do this is by putting
him in a crate of his own over night with fleece on the bottom, but I'm afraid
he will get cold and lonely without his littermates.  Any suggestions as to 1)
why he has these and no one else does, 2) should they be treated and with what,
and 3) any suggestions for a softer surface for him/them to be on over the top
of the stall mat?  As of right now I've washed the sores and put Corona salve
on them.  Any help?
Gail Bauman - Liebchen Kennels
 HOME TO SATERHAUS TJ OF NORDLICHT & WINDMILL'S LIVIN' ON A PRAYER!!
Check them out at www.geocities.com/liebchenkennels