[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy for legally blind person

  • From: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 03:49:59 +0000 (UTC)

My second ex-wife is blind....she went to a school in Northern CA. for her
guide dog...If I remember correctly the school breeds their own dogs...and
sadly they do not use GSDs....much to her disappointment....it may be hard to
give a family a puppy and then later expect that dog to be trained as a seeing
eye dog....the training and socialzation is very extensive...a family of
novices may not be up to it....My ex-wife's Black Lab guide dog, Woodson, is
the most incredible animal that I have ever been blessed to experience.....he
takes care of m y ex as if her life is at stake...I love that dog...I rest a
little better because of that dog...good luck to your puppy and the family...Ed