[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy buyers

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:33:26 -0400

I know we all keep track of our pups that are doing something in the show ring,
but how many of you follow up on your pet people?? I ask because I have had 2
recent situations that have come up with my puppy buyers.? The first one I
already bitched about, so I won't go there again.? The second one was much more
positive.?

One of my puppy people called me to say they had a problem.? Their happy,
well-adjusted girl had been attacked 3 times while on walks.? The first 2
incidents were minor.? The last incident was by a Pit Bull that went after the
owner and the dog intervened.? She was hurt badly and the owner had to hold?the
skin on her leg and stop the blood flow until his wife could get there and get
them to an ER.? This incident imprinted on both the dog and the owner.? Since
then, the dog has been on alert and dog aggressive.?

I am so happy he called me.? I have now been working with them for a month.?
The dog is feeding off the owner, who is totally stressed on their walks.??Of
course, the dog?picks up on that.??We had a great breakthrough today.? We went
by a house with an aggressive Rottie.? The GSD reacted.? The Rottie was behind
a fence and not a threat.? GSD was corrected, calmed down.? So was the owner.?
The Rottie watched us and he calmed down as well.? By the time we left that
home, both dogs were sitting calmly, about 4 ft from each other with no
aggression.? When we got back home, the owner was?thrilled at her progress.??

I don't tell you this because I am an awesome trainer (I am, LOL!)? but I
wonder how you would handle a situation with a dog you sold.? And, actually, I
didn't place this dog.? She was an agreement with my co-ownership with her
mother for a dog back from her first breeding.

The moral to the story.? When we got done with training today, the owner said
to me "I can't even begin to tell you the joy this dog has brought to our
family."

Laura????????