[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy Question

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:22:35 -0400

The litter is now 16 days old.? They are fat, happy and really, really active.?
One is already trying to get out of the whelping box, LOL!? When I change their
bedding, I put them on a crate mat.? If they move on to the tile floor, you'd
think they fell into a cold pond with all the screaming.? Too funny.? I sure
love this age, when they start to recognize people, voices, scents and each
other. And, they sure are talkers, LOL!
So, here is my question.? They are pottying on their own now so I want to try
to litter train them.? My vet had a great suggestion and I am wondering if
anyone has tried this and if it works.? She used it with her Golden pups.? I
figure if a Golden can do this it should be gravy for a GSD :-)

She suggested getting one of those flat boxes (plastic is preferred) that you
can use to store stuff under your bed.? Put shaving in there and?add puppies
after each meal.? They will learn that the box is the potty place.? She starts
them at?3 weeks old and by the time they are really mobile and escaping the
whelping box, they know to go to the box to potty.? Now, we all know that pups
that age can't "hold it"?and we also know that as they get older, they can
produce quite the mess.? So, this could be a good way to reduce the mess until
they can go outside.? My pups?stay indoors until their first vaccines with the
exception of short forays into the front yard for play and socialization with
humans at 4-5 wks.??

So, what do you guys think???Has anyone tried this???And, for those of you who
do whelp and?keep pups in the house, what do you do to help reduce mess and
keep the area clean?? I am so open to suggestions :-)

Laura Thomas???????