[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Pricing

  • From: Leslie Hartten CU <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:21:13 -0700

  Interesting, because there was just a discussion along these lines on
the SETTERS-L list.  Anyway, here are some comments from a pet owner, in
the style of NHANSBURG:

1) In 1996, I paid $400 for a 9-mo old English Setter puppy whose
breeder had kept 2 back but decided the other was a better show
prospect, and $400 for an 8-wk old pet-quality GSD puppy from show
lines.  I'd have to dig for details, but from memory the ES had 2 CH
parents and the GSD had 1 CH parent and a lot of obedience titles in the
family.  Both pups had pedigrees full of OFA numbers.  Both breeders
were active in their Denver-area breed clubs.  We'd visited the ES
breeder at her home the year before to discuss the breed, the dogs, our
lifestyle, etc.  We met the GSD breeder at a "meet the public" event and
I think at an all-breed show, talked some on the phone, and visited the
litter 2-3 times to help socialize them and continue talking with the
breeder.

2) With 5% annual increase in cost, $400 in 1996 would translate to
about $650 in 2006.

3) I know that these breeders are not making money on pups.  I don't
think it's fair to factor in costs of championships into "cost of pups",
because I assume these folks are pursuing their championships (in
conformation, obedience, herding, or hunting) for themselves and their
love of the dog/sport rather than to increase the monetary value of
their "product".  But I do understand that health clearances, breeding
fees, vet services, food, whelping materials etc. add up.  (Steve & I
didn't get OFA'd before we began Kate, but there were a variety of tests
and lots of prenatal visits, not to mention that unplanned C-section ;)
I'm sympathetic!).

4) I assume that the breeders are having litters for some combination of
the following:  desire to produce a better dog/bitch than they have
(i.e. improve their lines), desire to improve the breed by passing along
their idea of what's good in the gene pool, desire to smell puppy
breath.  I view my part in things this way: I end up with a
not-quite-standard dog with a solid background and a very good start on
life (health & socialization), while the breeder places one of the
inevitable not-quite-standard dogs in a thoughtful loving home.  My home
is not perfect, but everyone is clean, well-fed, loved, more-or-less
obedient, and gets regular medical care -- and only my husband got given
away during the divorce :).

5) I have a full-time professional job, a modest 1960's house, a
12-yr-old minivan, 1 kid, 2 dogs, 2 cats.  This year the amount I
budgeted for my pets worked out to 7% of my net income; that's 7th place
after housing, savings, charitable giving, transportation, child care,
and groceries.  I know that one local GSD breeder's web site lists $1000
for pet puppies; that may be fair, but it's more than I believe I could
responsibly spend, knowing who and what I already have committed to care
for.  (And one thing I keep in mind is that a new 2-20 month old dog
always comes with start up costs, usually a spay/neuter plus maybe hip
x-ray plus 1 random extra medical problem.)

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog) & Brittany