[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Pasterns

  • From: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Celeste <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:30:11 -0400

Well, sorry. But I have never witnessed or even heard of a working line breeder
who breeds for high level performance or IPO ever having puppies that were down
in the pasterns. I have visited tons of German working line breeders who
compete in IPO in my area. I have seen A LOT of these puppies over the years.
I have also trained on numerous IPO training fields. I have never seen or heard
of any puppies that were ever down in the pasterns. Likewise, I have spoken
with many breeders who were HGH herding breeders (I have a particular interest
in the herding farm dog who has a daily job of flock management) and have not
heard of the downed pasterns. My guess is that those lines would be instantly
culled. But, a heavy, large boned dog would probably not do well as a farm dog
herding a flock of 50-100 sheep all day. Thus, I can only assume it is a show
dog issue. If my assumption is wrong than I apologize. We all have different
experiences. Mine are primarily in the AKC performance and SV IPO worlds. Like
everyone, we are influenced by our personal experiences.

Sarah Minsk-Eduardo
Von Whitehall German Shepherds
"Preserving the classic
German Shepherd Dog"
Member of GSDCA and Signer of Breeders Code of Ethics

On Sep 10, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Celeste <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So sorry. I would like to join into this conversation but I am down at the
kennels working hard to bring patterns down to insure blue ribbons!

Celeste