[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy Nose.....?

  • From: "Gail Bauman" <gailbauman@xxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:21:25 -0600

Hi listers - question about one of my puppies.  He has a very thin horizontal
slightly crooked (in other words not straight) short skinny line on his nose
right at the base (just where the nose starts above the teeth) that is lacking
pigment.  I did not notice this until about a week and a half ago - I'm sure he
did not have it until then.  Also I have noticed right between his nostrils on
the front (not the top) of the nose, kind of just above this, the area is just
a HAIR of a SHADE lighter than the rest of his nose.  I asked the vet about it
and she seemed to think the "scratch" would fill itself back in black, and
wasn't concerned about the rest of his nose.
Now for the questions:

1)  any idea what this is about and why it looks the way it does?  AND, is
there anything I can give him (I've heard kelp, etc.) to help the pigment fill
in?  I know with Italian Greyhounds and other breeds they are born with pink
noses that fill in to black, but this boy didn't start out that way.  Could
this be from scratching it or some other type of injury?  They are eating out
of stainless bowls etc.

2)  I have a nice show home for this boy - the rest of him is very nice, but
I'm worried about his nose.  I know the standard states "predominantly black"
and if he were to be shown today, it would not be a problem.  However, I'm
concerned about it changing over time.  I don't believe it will ever get any
worse than your typical "snow nose" if it DOES get lighter (he's 13 weeks - a
bit young for "snow nose" isn't he?), and I'm hoping the vet is correct in her
assessment that the "scratch" will fill in and become black again - how would
you write up a sales contract for this pup?  Would you take this into account?
I started out asking what my "show" price is for him - would you adjust this or
wait and see what happens with it?  I am at a loss with this being my first
litter as to how to handle this when writing up the sales contract.

Thanks for any help here!!