[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy Mills and High Volume Breeders

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'showgsd-l GSDList'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:12:13 -0800

Stormy get the Gold Star of the week for understanding the issues. She also
gets the prestigious David Fritsche Agreement Award.

Dave

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Mills and High Volume Breeders

As in all things, there is partial truth here. AKC began as an organization to
register dogs, to keep the registry pure and to run events of the pure bred
dog.  That was their mission. They have moved their goal posts as all
businesses do, of course.  However,  they are still in business to register
purebred dogs whether in your home or in a commercial kennel.

The Dog Press has never been a fan of AKC and have been known to move facts
around to make a yellow headline about any group or person.  Read what they
have to say about our German Shepherd Dogs.

USDA licenses commercial kennels and transporters. Hunte is licensed by
USDA/APHIS.  Any other comment about their relationship is conjecture.  I talk
to APHIS staff quite a bit and I guess some could accuse me of being in bed
with them?  Home dog breeders have a person on APHIS staff to which they may
contact now.   Julian Prager is a bull dog breeder, dog judge and a lawyer and
is employed by APHIS staff to help their staff understand the uniqueness of
home breeding.

The biggest chunk of AKC money, according to  their 2013 year end statement
comes from registration… all registrations.  The next biggest chunk comes from
events and recordings. They register dogs, that is their business.  They
authorize events, that’s their business.

AKC Government Relations is the biggest friend that breeders and dog owners
have to fight Animal Rights instigated laws and ordinances.  GR Staff go far
beyond a job.  They believe in what they do.  What AKC does ‘behind the scenes’
in DC and all over the country is not well known and it should be.  AKC GR
staff should get a bigger budget and a bigger staff.

Finally, AKC is a club of clubs.  Each club has a delegate.  If somebody
doesn’t like what AKC does, talk to your delegate.  You don’t like what your
delegate does.  Get another one.

Repeating what is being spread around is what ARs do. Animal Rights groupies
read what the leaders say or write in their blogs and no matter how far from
the truth, it becomes THEIR truth. Please don’t be a ‘groupie.” Dig for the
truth from credible sources.  Repeating what is being written by less than
credible sources just is unsubstantiated rumors.

---