[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Mills

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Edwin Hill" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:32:15 -0500

I agree with Ed. Numbers don't always designate a "puppy mill" four to five
litters per year is nothing compared to the big kennels of yesterday where
handlers lived on the grounds and kennel masters ran the kennels. If a
breeder can give proper care to 4-5 litters per year..keep them clean and
in a clean environment, make sure they are well socialized and loved and
provided the best food that one can afford add to this that the breeder
have a purpose in mind..that is either bettering the breed by breeding
excellent specimens of the breed and/or breeding to continue on that
kennels lineage for future generations..who is to say it is wrong? On the
flip side we have those who may only have a couple of litters of
year..don't care much for the puppies..feed them cheaply, they live in a
squalor and there is no purpose other than to sell pets or if they are
conformation breeders and the puppies are not looking so great they get
ignored and worse yet mistreated. There have been breeders who have done
things I wouldn't do and which I would consider reckless and perhaps I have
done things they wouldn't do. We don't need more breed "Nazis"..we have
enough control freaks in this game as it is. Seems like there is someone
out there always wanting to make a new rule..or manipulating the current
rules to suit their need or complaining about anything they can find to
complain about or trying to create problems where problems don't exist.. As
of late I think common sense has gone by the wayside. C.Grainger

question and others like it are the exact questions that trigger ( I don't
use that word often..lol..) hostilities and animosity among breeders and
club members...if YOU think breeding 4 or 5 litters a year is too many,
than don't do it...why do you need to label some one who does not agree
with your number...how many litters should one bitch have? again the only
answer is....it depends on the bitch.... Peta and other groups like them
are not our biggest enemy...WE ARE OUR BIGGEST ENEMY...most will not
understand this...intelligence and logical thinking is NOT over represented
on this list..Ed Hill
> Werner Sommers <wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   How many litters per
year can a breeder have before they become a puppy mill?I would think 4 or
5.