[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Mill For Sale

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, grnram415@xxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, mkbaldwin@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

Points very well taken, and no it is unlike anything most of us have ever
tried. Many of these animals coming to us will be older and sicker, many may
have temperment problems and need training and socializing. That being said the
conceipt is valid and we do need to start thinking and working toward these
goals of GSD centers located throughout the Nation. Morgan
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:  Its 'doable' but its not a simple refit. Keep in
mind that the existing runs can't be over two feet wide with small dog/cat
sized door openings through the wall. Everything would have to be ripped out,
new openings cut through the block, others blocked in, and very few GSD sized
runs will fit in that area. As one of the folks who pulls/transports for Last
Hope I'm not trying to knock the idea just being a realist.
I'd love to see us have a justified place to house dogs - either temporoary or
long term, or both. However, I wouldn't like to see us set up a facility like
we had here in GA many years ago that set up a facility and got in over their
heads. They ended up being closed by the state when animals weren't receiving
proper care/conditions deteriorated due to sheer numbers and lack of staff to
care for them all. This is not something that can just be done overnight. It
needs careful planning and management.

There are existing dogs on the property. What do we do with them? Euthanize
them to set up a 'safe haven' for other dogs? Wow, what publicity that would
get us......... [this was a suggestion/supposition in another post. I didn't
make it up] Place them in other breed rescue? Adopt them out?

The first hurdle is getting the money together to purchase the place which we
can do. But there are other decisions that have to be made and long term
funding for the facility that needs to be established before we move forward.
Other considerations right off the top........What happens the day there is no
money for say food and forty dogs on the property??????? How about multiple
caretakers? One person is not physically capable of caring for dogs without a
break seven days a week for an undefined time period. If you happen to find
someone willing to commit to that.... who will have time to transoprt dogs to
the vet, do temperament evaluations, training, and just basic spending time
with the charges, handle adoptions, paperwork, etc. Managing a falility like
this is not like owning a private hobby kennel.......

--
Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com

Morgan and His Angels