[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Deaths

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 08:15:03 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree with Helen on this one. I doubt that the puppies at weaning
have the ability to digest red meat. In the wild at weaning time the mother
eats the kill, holds it in her stomach and then pukes it up for the puppies to
eat After it is about half digested. I have had two bitches that would do this
for their puppies.

Izzy on the other had would go upstairs and beg for hot dogs :0) She would then
run down to Izzy's room and place it in the middle of the whelping box and call
the puppies to it. She would get so disappointed when they would latch on to
her in stead of the hot dog. Lord I miss that dog!!! Best brood bitch I ever
had.

I have always raised my puppies on soaked kibble and so far the average age of
my dogs is about 12.5 years. I soak it for about 2 weeks and then slowly switch
it to dry. I have never soaked adult food and have never had a dog bloat. Izzy
started to bloat once but that was because she had been playing with the garden
hose and had filled herself with water and air chashing the stream. I put her
in the car, called my vet and said Izzy is bloating I'll meet you at the
office. The bumpy ride burped her and I am sure she passed some gas, That
office call was a spendy lesson in not letting a dog over do with the garden
hose.!!!

Terry