[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Aptitude Test

  • From: Cheryl May <cmdogsports@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:21:18 -0800 (PST)

I've puppy tested a few shepherd litters, dozens of sheltie litters,
and assorted other herding and working breeds.

IMO, the test confirms much of what an experienced breeder will have
noticed from observing the litter from birth. Unfortunately a lot of
the information that I want to know about a future dog can't be learned
in a puppy test. (Hips, elbows, aggression, willingness to persist at a
difficult task)

What I *can* see is basic structure, interest in people, interest in
the world around them, and sound sensitivity. The most important thing
I'm looking for is following behavior. I don't personally want a puppy
who isn't interested in following me.

It's a big plus if the pup will chase the paper ball, and an even
bigger plus if puppy brings it back. A pup that shows no interest in
the ball at all is usually more difficult to motivate as an adult.

My pick pup will be the obnoxious, outgoing, "into everything" bold
pup. The puppy test will confirm who this puppy is, but breeders have
already spotted that puppy.

There are, btw, a number of breeders on this list who put mini agility
obstacles into the puppy play area -- little tunnels, things to climb
on -- thank you! :-) That makes for a more confident puppy!

- Cheryl May
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~may/dog.html

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250